Using the proper fuel is critical in maintaining the safe and effective operation of your STIHL equipment. All STIHL gas-powered tools run on a 50:1 mixture of gasoline and 2-cycle engine oil. When it’s time to mix your fuel, follow these step-by-step instructions.
How to Properly Fuel your STIHL Tools
1. Refer to your manual for specific fueling and fuel mixture level information.
2. Make sure you’re using an approved gasoline container.
3. When choosing your gasoline, we recommend mid-grade unleaded gasoline with a minimum octane rating of 89. Lower octane ratings can result in increased engine temperatures and risk of engine damage.
4. Make sure you have the correct mixture levels. All STIHL equipment runs on a 50:1 ratio of gasoline and oil.
GALLONS OF GASOLINE FLUID OUNCES OF OIL
1 gallon 2.6 ounces
2.5 gallons 6.4 ounces
5 gallons 12.8 ounces
5. Pour the oil first and then add the gasoline to the canister. Close the canister and shake by hand to ensure proper mixing.
6. Before fueling, be sure to clean the cap and surrounding areas so no dirt falls into the tank. Your machine should always be positioned so the cap points upwards. Remove the fuel cap slowly so any built-up pressure in the tank is released slowly.